Saturday, April 12, 2008

Thomas H. Cook is No "Snooty" Writer

Here is an interesting interview with former true crime author/current mystery writer Thomas H. Cook (pictured left). The author of two true crime books, Early Graves (1990) and Blood Echoes (1992), Cook mainly focuses on crime fiction these days.

I enjoy his take on genre tags: "I think it can be snooty to define yourself as something other than a crime writer. I’ve written mainstream fiction. But essentially I write about people in crisis, and crime is usually what propels that crisis. So the label doesn’t bother me."

Cook also is not a fan of serial killers in fiction as he believes it is like "following a shark: the shark eats this and the shark eats that. It’s extremely boring." He does, however, enjoy true crime books about serial killers, with the Green River Killer of special note.

No comments: