Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Paul Lonardo Tries His Hand at True Crime Writing

I had the pleasure of meeting Paul Lonardo way back in October 2001, at my very first book signing which took place at the world's greatest horror book store, Dark Delicacies in Burbank, California. I have been a lifelong fan of any and everything horror and loved hanging out at Del and Sue Howison's incredible store. It was an honor for me to be able to schedule my first public appearance for my debut book, Hollywood Death Scenes, at Dark Delicacies.

Since I was a first-timer I was booked together with several other new authors. It was a great experience to sign books, meet Hollywood horror types like Mick Garris (The Stand, Masters of Horror) and Daniel Roebuck (River's Edge), and to meet other new authors on the scene. One of those new writers was a man about my age named Paul Lonardo.

Paul and his-then fiancee sat next to me and my late first wife, Lisa, and chatted about writing in between signing books. Paul had written his first full-length horror novel, The Apostate, and had come all the way from Rhode Island to promote it (such is the drawing power of Dark Delicacies). I found him quite affable and promised to keep in touch. Unfortunately, the unexpected death of my wife less than six months later kept me from keeping in touch with hardly anyone and I lost contact with Paul.

Much to my pleasant surprise this morning, I came across this news feature in the Wicked Local Lakeville (Massachusetts) about my former signing pal, Paul Lonardo. What makes it even more exciting is that he has now joined our world of true crime.

Paul's first true crime effort, Thrill Killers, has recently been released by New Horizon Press. According to the article, it is the story of the "brutal murders of two innocent college students - Lakeville resident Jason Burgeson and his friend Amy Shute" by five punks who had no reason to kill other than to experience the "thrill" of murder.

Paul will be appearing at the Lakeville Library on May 29 from 6-8pm and has several other appearances lined up. Be sure to check out Paul's website to learn more about the man, the perils of publishing, and the case that inspired Thrill Killers.

I wish you the best of luck, Paul. Hopefully, we will meet again.

Please feel free to order Paul's book below:

No comments: