Monday, April 28, 2008

Part Time True Crime Authors Joseph Wambaugh and Michael Connelly Crack Wise

Check out this short article in Saturday's Los Angeles Times with TC part-timers Joseph Wambaugh and Michael Connelly. The two took part in a panel at this year's L.A. Times Festival of Books talking about, what else, writing crime.

Though their discussion centered more on the mystery genre, Wambaugh tosses in a few bits of advice that are applicable to TC writing such as, "The best crime stories are not about how cops work on cases but about how cases work on cops," and "I've never written about flamboyant criminal masterminds. I write about lowlifes. But sometimes a lowlife can commit a big crime."

Also, Wambaugh comes across as one funny man in the piece.

A side note - I met my mentor and good friend, Dennis McDougal, at the L.A. Times Festival of Books back in 1999, and I have nothing but great memories of the annual event.

3 comments:

Tom Politeo said...

Hey, if you want to lift my photo from the L.A. Times and use it without permission, the least you can do is take the time to get my name correct - Tom Politeo.

Corey Mitchell said...

I have removed Tom Politeo's photo from this post.

Kelli said...

Good post.