Monday, March 31, 2008

Johnny Depp the Singing Serial Killer: Sweeney Todd DVD April Fools Day

I originally had Tim Burton's serial killer musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street on the short list for an ICB Detective Award for Best Film Based on a True Crime at In Cold Blog earlier this year. One of our commenters, however, said it was an innapropriate inclusion because the story is fiction.

I am not well-versed in the Sweeney Todd story at all so I will go ahead and point out that there is a book entitled Sweeney Todd: The Real Story of the Demon Barber of Fleet Street by the late Peter Haining. Apparently, it is not looked upon favorably.

Regardless, I look forward to another pairing of Johnny Depp and Tim Burton. Plus, the horror fan in me is excited by the prospect of a true Burton fright film.

Feel free to purchase the Sweeney Todd DVD or Haining book on the case. The two-disc version of the film has a documentary entitled Sweeney Todd is Alive Documentary - The Real History of the Demon Barber of Fleet Street plus numerous additional making-of documentaries including one titled A Bloody Business.

2 comments:

Star LaBranche said...

I love this movie. What can be better than a musical about a serial murderer starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter?

I wonder if they're ever going to make a film of the Aileen Wuornos musical.

Corey Mitchell said...

I love this movie. What can be better than a musical about a serial murderer starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter?

About the only thing I can imagine is a Rock Opera starring Paul Williams as The Devil AKA "Swan," William Finley as The Phantom, and directed by Brian DePalma!

Star, is the Aileen Wuornos musical a real production?